Best Family Hotels in Tenerife
The year-round sunshine, soft-white beaches and attractive landscapes - from tropical forests to volcanic lava - have helped make Tenerife the most popular of all the Canary Islands. And with shallow waters and plenty of child-friendly activities, it is a clear favourite with families. The best family hotels on Tenerife vary from rural retreats to five star luxury beach resorts and everything in between!
The most popular resorts are in the south west around Los Cristianos, Playa de las Américas and Costa Adeje. Here you will find plenty of soft-white sands, safe swimming pools, water sports - including surfing and sailing - and some of Tenerife’s best family hotels with a choice to suit all budgets. Dolphin- and whale-watching trips are also on offer.
The island is big on water-parks and theme-park fun from the beautiful, designer pools at the Parque Maritimo César Manrigue in the capital Santa Cruz, to beach playgrounds and go-karting around the southern resorts. Around the latter you will also find attractions such Jungle Park with its exotic animals and birds, and camel-riding.
Use our guide to the best family hotels on Tenerife to plan your break. But don't forget that if you want to visit during the peak seasons, you'll need to be organised and book well ahead.
For a rural stay
- The relaxed La Casona del Patio, a restored 17th-century manor house near Masca in the rural north-west and close to the Teno Mountains, has rustic rooms, plenty of space for energetic kids, and a special children’s menu in the seafood restaurant.
- Hotel el Patio is another good rural pick, close to Garachico. Again a restored period property with traditional accommodation (superior rooms sleep up to four) - think tiled floors, antique furnishings and exposed beams, plus lovely gardens with pool and tennis court. It's excellent value too with doubles from just €91 per night including breakfast.
For a beach holiday
- Roca Nivaria is a luxury offering boasting stunning sea views and a plethora of on site activities from huge lagoon style swimming pools, tennis courts, and gym to the all important kids' clubs (from babies to 12 years old are catered for). There's a wide choice of dining options and a spa for some adult pampering!
- Baobab Suites in Costa Adeje also ticks lots of boxes. With contemporary apartment accommodation combined with all the services you'd expect from a luxury hotel, plus complimentary kids' clubs and good family friendly dining options it's ideal for a family holiday.
For a town based stay
- In Puerto de la Cruz, the luxury Hotel Botanico has contemporary-classic rooms, including family suites, indoor and outdoor pools, children’s club - plus spa for grown-ups - a choice of four restaurants, and a lovely garden.
- And in the capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife you'll find the Grand Hotel Mencey. Colonial style architecture belies the modern sleek interiors. There are family rooms and suites, large swimming pools and on site babysitting services.